Open Educational Resources Workshop at Giovatto Library
Thank you all for attending FDU’s first OER workshop held on Wednesday, 2/19. We hope the presentation was valuable and that we were able to generate interest in adopting more OER for our students. In order to tailor future workshops and promote growth, your feedback is requested and greatly appreciated.
The link to the evaluation form is here: https://fdu.libwizard.com/f/oerworkshop Thank you in advance!
If you were unable to attend the workshop the recorded version is here:
If you, your colleagues, or your department would like us to bring a version of this workshop to you, or, you are interested in exploring available OER resources, library staff would be happy to schedule some time for you. If you are ready to work with librarians on pursuing OER for your courses, please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.
Assigning open textbooks in college and university courses can help students save money on increasingly expensive traditional textbooks. Recent research has shown that savings can be achieved with little or no sacrifice in the quality of textbooks or on student learning outcomes. Join us as we explore the field of Open Educational Resources (OER) and commit to lowering student costs at FDU. Attendees will:
- Understand the Why, What, Where and How of OER from VALE OER Ambassadors
- Understand the difference between the six Creative Commons Licenses
- Identify OER collections and specific resources within disciplines
- Recognize OER resources and understand how to adopt them in specific courses
- Learn how fellow FDU faculty have adopted OER in existing courses.
8:45 am Breakfast
9:00 am Opening Remarks & Overview of OER (VALE Ambassadors)
10:00 am OER at FDU (James Gifford)
10:30 am Break
10:45 am Faculty/Librarian Collaborations (VALE Ambassadors & FDU Librarians)
11:30 am Students and OER (Student perspectives from PCCC)
12:00 pm Lunch
1:00 pm Panel Q&A (VALE Ambassadors, Librarians, Faculty, Students)
1:45 pm FDU’s plan & timeline (Ana Fontoura, Cathy Kelley, Craig Mourton)
VALE OER Ambassadors:
Ken Karol is the Technology Resource Specialist at Passaic County Community College (PCCC) in Paterson, N.J.
Alison Cole is the Computing and Information Technology Librarian at Felician University, Assistant Professor, and liaison to the School of Arts & Sciences and Education.
FDU Faculty & Staff:
- James Gifford, Professor, Fairleigh Dickinson University, Vancouver Campus
- Robert Wolf, Electronic Resources Librarian
- Saskia Kusnecov, Research & Metadata Librarian, FDU Florham Campus
- Catherine Kelley, Associate Provost for Educational Resources
- Craig Mourton, Deputy Campus Executive, Metro Campus
- Ana Fontoura, University Librarian, Fairleigh Dickinson University
- Wednesday, February 19, 2020
- 9:00am - 2:00pm
- Giovatto Library Auditorium
- Metropolitan Campus